Make the Most of Libra SeasonSep 19, 2022
Welcome to Libra Season. Each year from Sept. 22 through Oct. 22, the Sun travels through the Zodiac sign of the Scales. Discover the hidden history of Libra, and how you can navigate its energy with grace and love.
Find out more about the energy of the 2023 Libra Horoscope.
Want to check out past years? Here you go: 2022 Libra Horoscope.
Libra & Mythology
The beautiful, young Narcissus resisted romance until he fell in love with his own reflection in a pool of water. Fascinated by his own image, he gazed at himself until death claimed him. Where he fell sprouted the narcotic flowers that still bear his name.
This Greek myth, however, is more than a cautionary tale about the dangers of extreme self-love. It’s an allegory of the human condition post “Fall” from our divine origins.
The astrological Zodiac, a word which translates as “the Way of Life,” describes this same journey, called the myth of Descent and Return by scholars who study such things.
In the Zodiac, the cycle begins with Leo; its ruling planet the Sun represents the soul’s divine spark with us all. Next, the soul is incarnated in the arms of a Virgo the Virgin, guided into manifestation by the divine messenger Mercury.
Once in Libra, the Soul falls so in love with the pleasures of incarnation, it “forgets” its divine heritage, and becomes ensnared in the dramas of the material world.
Like Narcissus before us, we become the Sleeping Beauty awaiting a divine kiss to awaken us.
Libra & Astrology
Now we can begin to understand the secret urges of Libra, as encoded in its astrological symbolism. Savor these morsels for your own reflection:
- Ruled by the love goddess Venus, Libra leads us to fall in love with “the Other,” through which we are ultimately seeking reconnection with our divine Self.
- As an air sign, Libra teaches us about the interplay of desire with our thoughts and perceptions of the world we inhabit.
- Libra is a cardinal sign, which suggests it expresses its energy in uncompromisingly direct ways.
- Here Mars is in detriment, reminding that power over others' approaches will keep one locked into the cycle.
- The Sun “falls” in Libra, a nod to its Fall from its Divine heritage; it’s easy to get distracted by reflections and forget who we truly are.
- Saturn is exalted here, giving us the gift of endurance, as well as restraint and discipline to help us maintain our equanimity.
- Libra’s constellation is the Scales, a sign of finding balance, subtly suggesting that the middle path is the only way through the looking glass of our desires.
Make the Most of a Libra Horoscope
We are at our best in Libra season when we recall the existential paradox of the human condition. Our manifested life is pleasure, but it’s also a prison when we forget our deeper story. It is only by learning to live fully in the world, yet not entirely of it, that we can develop the equanimity to allow us to live with Grace.
You can make the most your Libra season by learning to walk in balance. Embrace Life, with its desires and loves, and yet remember that what you desire most is just a reflection of your Self.
When you can do that, you will make a daily practice of the Sanskrit greeting Namaste: the divine within me honors the divine within you. The spirit of the season is captured in the words of the playwright Luis Valdez, from his work Pensamiento Serpentino.
Tú eres mi otro yo. (You are my other me.)
Si te hago daño a ti, (If I do harm to you,)
Me hago daño a mi mismo. (I do harm to myself.)
Si te amo y respeto, (If I love and respect you,)
Me amo y respeto yo. (I love and respect myself.)