Make the Most of Scorpio SeasonOct 23, 2022
Welcome to Scorpio Season. Each year from Oct. 23 through Nov. 21, the Sun travels through the Zodiac sign of the Scorpion. Discover the hidden history of Scorpio, and how you can navigate its energy with courage and insight.
Find out more about the energy of the 2022 Scorpio Horoscope.
Scorpio & Mythology
“Abandon all hope, ye who enter here,” is the sign hanging over the entrance to Hell in Canto III of Dante’s Inferno. It’s also a fitting sign hanging at the entrance of the Zodiac Sign Scorpio, though for not the reason you may be thinking.
Dante’s epic tale recounts his fantastic journey, guided by the poet Virgil, down though the circles of Hell, and then back up toward the divine light through Purgatory and Paradise. The story lands in the category “Myths of Descent and Return” by scholars who study such things; it’s an allegory for the human condition post “Fall” from our divine origins.
The astrological Zodiac, a word which translates as “the Way of Life,” also describes this journey. The cycle begins with Leo, its ruler the Sun represents the soul’s divine spark. The soul is incarnated in the arms of Virgo the Virgin, guided into manifestation by the divine messenger Mercury. Then In Libra, the Soul falls so in love with the pleasures of incarnation, it “forgets” its divine heritage.
So, as the Soul arrives on the threshold of Scorpio, realizing its ensnared state, Robert Frost’s advice rings true: “The best way out is always through.” Scorpio begins the long, challenging process of realizing who we are and what we’ve become. In other words, to Know Thyself.
Scorpio & Astrology
Now we can begin to understand the essence of Scorpio, as encoded in its astrology symbolism. Consider this as you step through its gates:
- Ruled by the war god Mars, Scorpio gives us strength and a willingness to walk away from the status quo for the sake of something deeper. Mars also signifies the life force energy, which drives us forward no matter the circumstances.
- As a water sign, Scorpio teaches us about our depths -- emotions, instincts, intuitions and other currents now hidden in the deep recesses of our psyches
- Venus is in detriment. Her discomfort reminds that superficial niceties and fleeting pleasures aren’t sufficient for navigating Scorpionic depths.
- The Moon “falls” in Scorpio. The Moon craves comfort and safety, which it will find little of from the intense emotions in Scorpio. (The entrance to Scorpio falls in the middle of the Moon’s “burning way.”)
- Scorpio’s constellation is the Scorpion, a complex symbol. On the one hand, the sting of these nighttime hunters can bring death and destruction; on the other hand, used wisely, their venom serves as a potent antitoxin for other maladies.
Make the Most of a Scorpio Horoscope
The Scorpio experience is at its best when we are brave enough to face life as it is -- messy, complicated, and sometimes painful. The Scorpion makes us face up to the fact that life can only end one way, in death. So the true question is, do you have the strength to go deeper, and find the treasure hidden within the experience of living it…
You can make the most of your Scorpio season by taking some time for yourself to reflect on who you are, and what you want from your life. It’s a potent month for doing Shadow work, facing up to your hidden demons and the lessons they have to teach you.
It's been said that the psychologist Carl Jung called Shadow Work "the path of the heart warrior." And that "the best political, social, and spiritual work we can do is to withdraw the projection of our shadow onto others."
Perhaps the world needs the Heart Warriors now more than ever. Will you heed Scorpio's call?