Make the Most of Capricorn SeasonDec 17, 2022
Welcome to Capricorn Season. Each year from Dec. 21 through Jan. 19, the Sun travels through the Zodiac sign of the Goat-fish. Discover the hidden history of Capricorn, and how you can navigate its energy with grit and determination.
Find out more about the energy of the 2022 Capricorn Horoscope.
Capricorn & Mythology
“What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger?” Maybe that’s a bit melodramatic, but Hero’s do need to test their mettle with a few trials. How else is the Soul going to learn the ways of its new world?
It's fitting our Sun-Hero faces the hardships that must be overcome in the winter months. As days get shorter and nights longer, the cold and dark are the hallmarks of the shadowy Underworld that our Soul must enter willingly to gain the treasures of power, knowledge and self-mastery.
The signs of the astrological Zodiac, a word which translates as “the Way of Life,” depict 12 phases on this journey. This stage we’ve explored so far?
- The cycle begins with Leo; its ruler the Sun represents the soul’s divine spark.
- The soul is incarnated in the arms of Virgo the Virgin, guided into manifestation by the divine messenger Mercury.
- Then in Libra, the Soul falls so in love with the pleasures of incarnation, it “forgets” its divine heritage
- In Scorpio, the Soul realizes its situation and decides to walk into the unknown to find a solution.
- In Sagittarius, the Hero meets a guide who offers sage advice on the road ahead.
Now entering Capricorn, the Sun must leave behind its mentor. Here the Soul begins its time of testing. Like the labors of Hercules, the Soul develops mastery and excellence through overcoming the obstacles on the path.
Sure, in the myths and movies, these obstacles can take on the masks of monsters and other cataclysms. But, for more ordinary mortals, such obstacles can be the everyday work of building careers, relationships and purpose.
Capricorn & Astrology
Now we can begin to understand the essence of Capricorn, as encoded in its astrology symbolism. Consider this as you face the mountain before you:
- Capricorn, ruled by the harvest god Saturn, challenges us to make the best use of our life-within-limits. In other words, Saturn teaches wisdom through experience
- As an Earth sign, Capricorn focuses our attention on our day-to-day needs, as well as our pragmatic goals in the physical world
- As a cardinal sign, Capricorn’s energy is direct and confident; there’s not much second-guessing going on
- Capricorn exalts Mars. Mars’s bias for action is channeled in constructive ways.
- The Moon is in detriment. The comfort-loving planet realizes she may have to do without to meet her long-term goals. Pack light.
- Jupiter is in its Fall. The sage mentor cannot accompany the hero on their trials; the soul must test its own mettle, not philosophize about it.
- Capricorn’s constellation is the goat-fish, a strange hybrid animal with the head and forelegs of a goat and the tail of a fish that’s appeared in mythology since Sumerian times. The fish tail propels itself through waters, the goat years to climb to the heights. The strange combination mirrors the Soul out of its element, striving yet finding it’s caught between worlds.
Make the Most of a Capricorn Horoscope
The Capricorn experience is at its best when you set aside self pity, roll up your sleeves, and make your world a better place. It’s at its worst when you let fear immobilize or discourage you.
How to make the best of Capricorn season? Pick a thing and do it, then another and another. One step at a time, you’ll eventually find yourself climbing over the highest mountains. Make your New Year’s resolutions realistic, and then choose just one to get started on.