Make the Most of Aries SeasonMar 19, 2023
Welcome to Aries Season. Each year from Mar. 20 through Apr. 19, the Sun travels through the Zodiac sign of the Ram. Discover the hidden history of Aries, and how you can navigate its energy with strength and drive.
Find out more about the energy of the 2023 Aries Horoscope.
Aries & Mythology
You’ve probably heard the Zen proverb: “Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water.”
It’s a phrase that reminds us that enlightenment is a process, not an end state. And that even after our peak experience, the work of living must continue.
It’s also an idea that captures an important essence of Aries season.
But to understand why this is, we’ll need to start at the beginning. See, the archetypal Hero’s journey is encoded in the signs of the astrological Zodiac, a word that translates as “the Way of Life.”
- The cycle begins with Leo. Its ruler, the Sun, represents the soul’s divine spark.
- The soul is incarnated in the arms of a Virgin, Virgo, guided into manifestation by the divine messenger Mercury.
- Then in Libra, the Soul falls so in love with the pleasures of incarnation, it “forgets” its divine heritage
- In Scorpio, the Soul realizes its situation and decides to walk into the unknown to find a solution.
- In Sagittarius, the Hero meets a guide who offers sage advice on the road ahead.
- In Capricorn, the Sun must leave behind its mentor. Here the Soul begins its time of testing. Like the labors of Hercules, the Soul develops mastery and excellence through overcoming the obstacles on the path.
- In Aquarius, the Ego’s reality bubble gets a reset -- a breakdown to make a breakthrough. We see ourselves from a more detached and objective point of view so we can transcend that which limits us.
- After our breakthrough experience, Pisces brings an expansive rush. We may feel an overwhelming sense of wonder, at one with the Cosmos, or unlimited possibilities.
And so, in the Zodiacal hero’s journey, Pisces symbolizes our first brush with “enlightenment.” But as a dedicated mystic knows, enlightenment is a journey, not an end in itself.
In Aries, we are reminded that any journey takes work and dedication. We must continue to build our strength and resilience. Sometimes, this also means breaking new ground as we leave behind the habits that led us to create our inner demons in the first place.
Aries & Astrology
Now we can begin to understand the essence of Aries encoded in its astrology symbolism. What’s the astrology that sets the conditions for this expansive experience?
- Aries, ruled by the feisty Mars, challenges us roll up our sleeves, and take on the work of creating a new life for ourselves
- As a fire sign, Aries is about purifying the dross of our life, and continuing to strive ever upward on the path
- As a cardinal sign, Aries energy is direct and enterprising. We are willing to chart new paths, and take on obstacles that stand in our way.
- Venus is in detriment in Aries. Venus represents our desires, and our relationships. Venus in detriment here suggests that the work of Aries is largely about the Self, and what it needs to thrive. Sometimes this means relationships take a back seat, and sometimes it means we struggle with Desire itself.
- The Sun is exalted in Aries. The fiery Sun symbolizes both the Self, and the divine spark within us. When Aries’s work is done well, we make space for the divine to shine through our day-to-day lives (in the northern hemisphere, Aries is the beginning of spring, when the Sun and light overtake the darkness.)
- Saturn is in fall in Aries. Saturn is naturally conservative, and likes to follow tradition. It’s also a planet of quiet contemplation. Neither work well in Aries, which gravitates toward action and new territories.
- The Aries constellation is a ram's head and horns. It’s a symbol for grit and determination to make one’s way in the world, no matter what stands in the way.
Make the Most of an Aries Horoscope
After the expansion of Pisces, Aries has a bias for action. It’s at its best when you take responsibility for improving yourself and your world. Its biggest danger? Believing that life is truly all about you, and not in the service of something greater. When your hard work is all about exalting the Self for your own sake, it becomes narcissistic and stuck. It’s only when you understand that your efforts are in service to your larger journey that you’ll discover Aries’ true essence.
So, how do you make the best of Aries season? Remember that hard work is a necessary step on the path toward individuation. You must be willing to break away from the pack, and to find what works for you. But you also must be willing to roll up your sleeves and do the work of living. Kicking back and fantasizing is not the purpose of life in our 3D world. We may be spiritual beings, but we are having a human experience. Or, as they say, the purpose of life is to live life with purpose. So get to it!