Make the Most of Gemini SeasonMay 20, 2023
Welcome to Gemini Season. Each year from May 21 through June 20, the Sun travels through the Zodiac sign of the Twins. Discover the hidden history of Gemini, and how you can navigate its energy with curiosity and open-mindedness.
Find out more about the energy of the 2023 Gemini Horoscope.
Gemini & Mythology
Astrology books often focus on the most superficial elements of Gemini. They assign it keywords like fickle, scatterbrained, dilettante and flighty. And tbe Twins can be those things, when under stress or without deeper consideration.
But Gemini is also so much more. But to understand how we need to place Gemini in the context of the deeper story told by the Zodiac. Zodiac is a word that translates as “the Way of Life” (or, more precisely the “Way of Everlasting Life.”) It’s 12 signs encode the archetype along what Joseph Campbell called the “Hero’s Journey.”
In the astrological myth, the Sun is the Hero, who walks the path from summer’s light to winter’s darkness and back again.
- The cycle begins with Leo. Its ruler, the Sun, represents the soul’s divine spark.
- The soul is incarnated in the arms of a Virgin, Virgo, then guided into manifestation by the divine messenger Mercury.
- Then in Libra, the Soul falls so in love with the pleasures of incarnation, it “forgets” its divine heritage
- In Scorpio, the Soul realizes its situation and decides to walk into the unknown to find a solution.
- In Sagittarius, the Hero meets a guide who offers sage advice on the road ahead.
- In Capricorn, the Sun must leave behind its mentor. Here the Soul begins its time of testing. Like the labors of Hercules, the Soul develops mastery and excellence through overcoming the obstacles on the path.
- In Aquarius, the Ego’s reality bubble gets a reset -- a breakdown to make a breakthrough. We see ourselves from a more detached and objective point of view so we can transcend that which limits us.
- After our breakthrough experience, Pisces brings an expansive rush. We may feel an overwhelming sense of wonder, at one with the Cosmos, or unlimited possibilities.
- Aries heralds an urge to begin again. We build our strength and resilience. Sometimes, this means breaking new ground as we leave behind the world and habits that led us to create our inner demons in the first place.
- In Taurus season we learn to enjoy our “new normal.” And the power of love to lead us toward union with something deeper or greater than ourselves.
Gemini’s the final stage of the cycle. Here the soul regains its understanding of its own dual nature as, paradoxically, both fully human and fully divine. It’s only through Gemini’s keen awareness and open-minded perception that we begin to understand how vast our experience can be.
Gemini & Astrology
Now we can begin to understand the essence of Gemini encoded in its astrology symbolism. What’s the astrology that sets the conditions for this expansive experience?
- Gemini's ruler Mercury seeks to walk freely between the worlds. It understands the paradoxical truths and can open the door to our deeper enlightenment.
- As an air sign, Gemini’s energy seeks to explore all spaces. It’s also the breath of life, so to speak; words like spirit and soul take their root meanings from ancient words for breath.
- As a mutable sign, Gemini’s energy is quick and changeable. Mutable signs help us transition from one state of mind to another.
- Jupiter is in detriment in Gemini. At first, Jupiter may seem like a good fit for Gemini; after all, it too likes to explore and uplift. But Jupiter wants to know the truth; Gemini understands that there is no Truth, only apprehension of the All.
- The Gemini constellation features the Twins, Castor and Pollux. Of these, one twin was mortal and the other immortal, a metaphor for our own paradoxical state as both human and divine.
Make the Most of a Gemini Horoscope
Gemini offers the true seeker some of the greatest insights. Non-attachment and an understanding of the power of pure perception and awareness are among its blessings. On a more mundane level, its curious, easygoing, flexible and humorous nature can often lighten the mood. But, removed from its spiritual context, Gemini can become aimless, distracted and undependable.
So, how do you make the best of Gemini season? In the words of William Blake, “If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear as it is, Infinite.” It’s Gemini’s job to cleanse perception’s doors. Activities that help you move past your current belief systems – from travel to meeting new people to meditation – are all auspicious activities in Gemini season. Let go of the past and the future, being in the Now is where you’ll find the key to Eternity.